Thursday, August 11, 2011

Go!

Can you guess it's a slow time for me at work? This is my third post within one week! During downtime I like to read articles to further my knowledge of SQL Server. That's when I catch up on newsletters that collected in my inbox or prepare for my upcoming certification test.

Today, I ran across Kalen Delaney's article about a curious undocumented feature of SQL Server. If you put an integer after the batch separator "go" (e.g. go 10) the sql statement(s) before the "go" will be executed that many times (in my example 10 times.)

She uses this interesting little feature to populate test tables with test data but it can be used as a quick and dirty stress/concurrency testing technique as well.

Thank you Kalen for documenting the undocumented!

No comments:

Post a Comment